Top Five Activities for Dads and their Little (or Big) Adventurers
There’s nothing like a bit of quality time with your dad, whether you’re a little or slightly bigger adventurer. We’ve listed our top five suggestions to enjoy on an activity-full break in the Dramatic Heart of Wales.
- Go Ape offers a range of adventures near Margam Castle, and Treetop Challenges is the perfect one for fathers and their energetic adventurers. The UK’s biggest Tarzan Swing awaits the bravest of victors, who are eager to take on the challenge of this high ropes trail. A high-impact adventure at a height of six-meters, with iconic views of vast parklands and the sea, will see you dashing from tree to tree. Give log balancing a go or take on the bosuns chair as you zip swiftly revelling in your magnificent and dramatic surroundings. This challenge is adjustable to your level of endurance and experience, making it accessible for everyone. Treetop Challenges last between 2 to 3 hours at a cost of £26 per person.
- If you enjoy the motion of the ocean, catch a wave or two with an instructor from Surf School Wales. Located on Aberavon Seafront, one of Wales’s longest beaches, you can have private lessons from the team of talented instructors. All lessons are conducted by a member of their professional, friendly and passionate team within a secure environment. To name a few of the benefits of surfing, you can improve your balance and it’s great for mindfulness. Add all the fun you will have to that and you have a perfect outing for fathers to enjoy with their tribe. Private lessons at Surf School Wales have a duration of 2 hours and cost £50 for a one-to-one session or £30 per person.
- The survival courses run by Mountain and River Activities is another one of our top recommendations. This 2-day course is a great opportunity to boost your survival skills and take on adventure tasks. Step into the unknown and learn all about the wilderness, while immersed in it. Take part in tracking led by the experts, which teaches you how to interpret the tracks left behind by the unique wildlife of the area. At a cost of £175.00 for one adult and one child, this is perfect for your bonding time during your visit to the Dramatic Heart of Wales.
- An unforgettable experience we’d suggest for all aspiring discoverers, would be the Moths of Sand Dunes and Ancient Parkland course at the FSC Margam Discovery Centre. This is perfect if FSC Margam Discovery Centre could also be your accommodation base during this break. Learn all about rare creatures and local ecology as you become a true master of moth identification. Traps will be set up overnight and the live moths will be observed during an instructed session on the next day. Don’t forget your notebook and hand lens as you’ll get the chance to take a closer look at the moths and catalogue your thoughts and findings. The cost of the course is £180.00 for two people and the duration of the course is four days.
- To make your holiday to the Dramatic Heart of Wales even more authentic, a walking tour is a fantastic idea. Ideal for fathers and children who love to explore, a guided walk will present you with the opportunity to appreciate some of the most beautiful landscapes in the area. Known for stunning, dense woodlands, crystal-clear streams and sensational waterfalls, your walk will be one you want to be sure to capture in photos or videos. If you do upload anything on to your social media, don’t forget to use the #DramaticHeart hashtag so that we can see too! Take a look at all the downloadable walking routes we’ve prepared for you here to find your next trail. Upgrade your walking experience by booking a storyteller who will bring tales and folklore to life as you walk in the footsteps of your legendary predecessors.
We hope that this blog may have helped you decide what the best activity is for you and your little (or big) adventurer during your holidays in the Dramatic Heart of Wales. If you capture any of the memories you make during your stay, don’t forget to tag us on social media so we can share your memories.